California Business Connect
(CBC) is an IT project that aims to automate paper–based processes; allowing businesses to file and request copies of records online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Furthermore, it will provide access to Secretary of State business records allowing the public and government agencies to perform functions in a more efficient manner and allow fee payments to be processed within one business day.
The project was approved in 2011 and is set to go public in Mid 2019.
California BizFile was commissioned by the California Secretary of State Department which processes close to 2 million business filings and other customer orders each year. The business functions such as registering business entities and registering trademarks and service marks are handled by the Business Programs Division of the Secretary of State’s office
The Business Programs Division performs the “Filing Process” in which information submitted by businesses are reviewed for filing. The filing information is available upon request to California businesses, government agencies and other customers; some specific information is made available publicly online.
Business filings delivers numerous benefits to individuals and private and public agencies by providing information such as:
- Evidence of the formation, registration, modification of domestic and foreign business entities.
- Evidence of the key persons or entities operating business entities
- Evidence of the registration and modification of trademarks and business marks.
- Evidence for court cases and law enforcement investigations.
- Information to government agencies for taxing, licensing, and regulatory purposes.
- Proof of existence or good standing to open bank accounts, obtain financing, obtain licenses, enter into contracts, and conduct other official business in California.
For more information, visit www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/cbc.
The Business Programs Division performs a variety of activities in support of the core functions of the Secretary of State. The previous Filing Processes were various and based on older information technology systems and paper processes that supported the different types of filings and orders.
The Business Programs Division goal is to have all the filing and order types supported by a single set of common processes using similar systems with similar architecture.
For example, The Trademark Registration pilot has been developed and implemented based on the desired process model and using cloud-based services such as “Government Online Forms & Workflow Automation” electronic workflow (www.simpligov.com) and inhouse development of web services.
To support the desired business process and the electronic workflow, CBC Provides a cloud-based DevOps solution based on Microsoft Azure platform and .NET technologies to design, develop, and implement integrated web applications and web services to facilitate real time bi-directional transmission of data between public facing systems and internal systems of record.
On January 17, 2018, it was launched, and the Trademark Registration Online, allows you to submit online trademark and service mark registrations including required supporting documentation; allowing faster processing of both electronic and paper submissions, provides filing tips and samples to help you get your filing right the first time.
The highly successful ECI team was brought on to the project and achieved multiple milestones:
- Collaborated with cross-functional teams, stakeholders and sponsors to develop the business requirements
- Incorporated an Agile mindset to help the team focus on delivering the shippable products in incremental development iterations.
- Facilitated and collaborated across teams involved in delivering integrated modules and Led Intranet/Extranet applications, workflows, and web services.
- Supported assigned development team when encountered problems beyond their expertise buy performing the following tasks:
- Apply best practices in software development using Microsoft IDE, Azure DevOps, and .NET technologies
- Design and develop web services, dynamic libraries, and web applications, using the appropriate programming techniques and languages
- Develop and maintain cloud-based SQL Server databases and advanced SQL scripts
- Create logic, system, and program flows
- Write and execute unit test plans
- Track and resolve processing issues
- Participate in the review of code/systems for proper design standards, content and functionality.
- Participate in all aspects of the Systems Development Life Cycle.
- Adhere to established source control versioning policies and procedures
- Performed Agile planning and project management using Azure DevOps
- Developed data migration plan and led the development team in selecting, preparing, extracting, and transforming data and permanently transferring it from legacy systems to the new designed database in a cloud-based platform.
- Acted as servant leader in establishing a continuous plan of action to improve the team’s success toward commitments and goals.
- Applied Continuous Integration (CI) process to automating the build and testing
- Used Azure BLOB Storage to organize and maintain the documents and attachments associated to Filing Process.
- Designed and developed self-installing service to automate and support integration and database management back-end services
While this project is still ongoing; ECI’s part has been successfully completed. We are greatly looking forward to the tools we helped create being fully utilized by the general public.